Article Review 2: Survival Guide for Leaders, Heiftez & Linsky, 2002
In so much as sport management is the application of business principles to the sport industry, it is beneficial for the student to examine literature that is outside of sport and identify ways to make application of those principles within the sport context. This is the case with Heifetz & Linsky’s article Survival Guide for Leaders (Heifetz & Linsky, 2002). In this article the student will learn about the external pressures and the internal pressures that leaders must manage in order to survive in these important positions.
Summarize the main points of the article.
· “The ‘survival guide’ has two main parts. The first looks outward, offering tactical advice about relating to your organization and the people in it. It is designed to protect you from those people trying to push you aside before you complete your initiative (p. 3).”
Identify and describe the four (4) pieces of tactical advice given by the authors.
· “The second [part] looks inward, focusing on your own human needs and vulnerabilities. It is designed to keep you from bringing yourself down. (p. 3)”
Identify and describe these two (2) pieces of advice given by the authors.
Analyze the main points of the article and discuss their application to the manager/leader in the sport context.
· Why do leaders fail to get off the dance floor and on to the balcony?
· One of my first acts as a head volleyball coach was to cut a walk-on who was not “good enough.” Why was that an important decision/act for me and for my team?
· Describe a situation where you have seen someone turn up the heat to produce a productive range of stress? Was it effective? Why or why not?
· If leaders are supposed to be problem solvers, why should they let (demand, expect) others solve organizational problems?
· How can someone be a leader if they should restrain their desire for control and their need for importance?
· How do the authors recommend anchoring yourself? Which of these is the most important, why?
· How do (should) we as Christians anchor ourselves?
· If leadership brings with it these kinds of challenges, why do people still choose to be leaders?
· What are your key take-aways from the article?
· How do the concepts presented in the article complement (align with) or contract your Biblical world view?
Your assignment must be completed based on the following criteria:
· At least 3 pages;
· 1-inch margins;
· 12-point, Times New Roman font;
· A reference page in APA format with the article citation and any other sources used in the assignment; and
· Clear biblical integration
Include a title on the top line of the first page, and include your name. No other identifying information is needed.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.