· 11.60 Suppose that in Example 11.1 we wanted to determine whether there was sufficient evidence to conclude that the new system would not be costeffective. Set up the null and alternative hypotheses and discuss the consequences of Type I and Type II errors. Conduct the test. Is your conclusion the same as the one reached in Example 11.1? Explain.
· EXAMPLE 11.1 Department Store’s New Billing System
· The manager of a department store is thinking about establishing a new billing system for the store’s credit customers. After a thorough financial analysis, she determines that the new system will be cost-effective only if the mean monthly account is more than $170. A random sample of 400 monthly accounts is drawn, for which the sample mean is $178. The manager knows that the accounts are approximately normally distributed with a standard deviation of $65. Can the manager conclude from this that the new system will be cost-effective?
· This example deals with the population of the credit accounts at the store. To conclude that the system will be cost-effective requires the manager to show that the mean account for all customers is greater than $170. Consequently, we set up the alternative hypothesis to express this circumstance:
· H1: μ > 170 (Install new system)
· If the mean is less than or equal to 170, then the system will not be cost-effective. The null hypothesis can be expressed as
· H0: μ ≤ 170 (Do not install new system)
· However, as was discussed in Section 11-1, we will actually test μ = 170, which is how we specify the null hypothesis:
· H0: μ = 170
· As we previously pointed out, the test statistic is the best estimator of the parameter. In Chapter 10, we used the sample mean to estimate the population mean. To conduct this test, we ask and answer the following question: Is a sample mean of 178 sufficiently greater than 170 to allow us to confidently infer that the population mean is greater than 170?
· There are two approaches to answering this question. The first is called the rejection region method. It can be used in conjunction with the computer, but it is mandatory for those computing statistics manually. The second is the p-value approach, which in general can be employed only in conjunction with a computer and statistical software. We recommend, however, that users of statistical software be familiar with both approaches.
· 12.73 Xr12-73 With gasoline prices increasing, drivers are more concerned with their cars’ gasoline consumption. For the past 5 years a driver has tracked the gas mileage of his car and found that the variance from fill-up to fill-up was σ2 = 23 mpg2. Now that his car is 5 years old, he would like to know whether the variability of gas mileage has changed. He recorded the gas mileage from his last eight fill-ups; these are listed here. Conduct a test at a 10% significance level to infer whether the variability has changed.
12.74 Xr12-74 During annual checkups physicians routinely send their patients to medical laboratories to have various tests performed. One such test determines the cholesterol level in patients’ blood. However, not all tests are conducted in the same way. To acquire more information, a man was sent to 10 laboratories and had his cholesterol level measured in each. The results are listed here. Estimate with 95% confidence the variance of these measurements.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.